Day 26: Wulff Castor, Jaded Sellsword


To: Senior Librarian Jakobus Tavs, Reader for the Council of Librarians
From: Field Loremistress Yllian Senestra

Re: Wulff Castor

15th Westaway, 91 PC

Twice the esteemed maze expert Ollivander Shade has woken the camp by screaming in his sleep. My tent is adjacent to his, and I often hear his frantic mumblings about “eyes in the vents” and “the churning hunger”. When I question him, he grows uncharacteristically taciturn. We all have our ghosts, but I fear that his might cause an avalanche. 

Yesterday the security detail arrived. Castor Wollf, an old man. Even in his armor I cannot help but think him delicate. I have spoken with him, and age has come with experience. Mr. Wolf strikes me as alert and quick of mind. He is intellectually curious, something which often recedes with age. I do however feel a nagging concern about Mr. Wolf’s physical resilience. 
Mr. Wollf has, by way of introduction, told me tales about guarding caravans against brigands and pit-beasts, and about being besieged by the crawling scarab-city Alhuran. They had little of the exaggeration and bravado so common to soldiers. He lost a husband to the Alhuran siege, and does not seem to harbor any grand illusions concerning warfare. 

I have observed him spar with Mr. Shade, and Mr. Wollf never fails to come out the victor. 
All the same, I implore the council to send us more persons-at-arms. One man, his prowess notwithstanding, is hardly enough to protect a scientific excursion of this magnitude.
The inclinometers, measuring cords and rangefinding lanterns arrived today. Mr. Shade and I have been hard at work testing and calibrating them. 

Respectfully, Yllian Senestra

Personal note to Jacobus Tavs:
Dear Jaco! If I am correct in what I read between the lines in your last letter, Ankusz and Demen are up to their old tricks. If they’re sending who I think, then I foresee the expedition’s death by nepotism. Another grandson? It never ceases to amaze me how some people manage a scholarly career as well as procreating like a dune-rat. 
Give my best to Eshlin and the kids. 
Yllian

















Name: Captain Wulff Castor
Role:  The Paragon                         
Die:  D4  Hearts:  4  Stars: 4
Class: The Jaded Sellsword   Aspect: Sword
Drive: A nostalgic urge I should’ve put behind me by now. 


EDGES
1: Well Armed
You bristle with weapons and nearly anything you touch can be used as a weapon. You can spend a star to change what you are armed with, resulting in a different bonus – a two-handed weapon (gain  advantage on damage rolls), a one-handed weapon and a shield or dirk (gain advantage on defense rolls), or a single blade or paired weapons (gain advantage on attack rolls)


2: Rank 
You have a title and the respect that comes with it. You are Advantaged in command situations. When you throw your weight around, you can spend a Star to enforce your “law”. Having Rank increases your Lifestyle by one Tier.


3:  Veteran
Veteran – You are a Veteran adventurer and are well prepared for the road ahead. If you would take a condition (any condition), you may instead “take Veteran.” As a Veteran, you have seen worse, and you shake it off . Effectively, Veteran gives you a free refresh or condition test.

Wealth: 3

CONDITIONS
Stressed [ ] - Disadvantage on BOOKS. No KEY Bonus.
Tired [ ] - Disadvantage on BOOTS and BONES. 
Hurt [ ] - Disadvantage on BLADES. 
Marked [ ] - Disadvantage on DEATH’S DOOR rolls. 
Kit: Boiled leather and ring mail, expensive boots, traveling pack, war axe, longspear, a wineskin and a bottle of cognac, gold insignia pin




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of Kranium Kastle

Oh B.R.O.T.H.E.R.

Teen Cthulhu