Passing Strange Pt. 1

Because I can I'm working on a(nother) game. The working title is Passing Strange. I'm kinda ripping myself off here, since it is another game about being strange and magical but having no clout or cash. I guess it is a heartbreaker, but I wanted to take a stab at making my own system, simple though it may be.
In the end why do we do anything bro? 

Character creation
I want some combination of randomness and choice. I think randomness is good because it throws you curve balls. It irritates your creativity, and makes you unable to go for the things you always go for. Choice is good because it gives you a measure of ownership and a bit of control.
 Roll 1D6 for each stat, then distribute 8 points among them. No stat can start higher than 10 or lower than 2.
The Stats:
Prowess
Covers all the fighting you’re likely to get into.
Physique
Your fitness, agility and constitution. Running, jumping, climbing trees.
I wanted to separate being physically fit from being good at violence. I think it makes for a more interesting range of character possibilities.
Brains
Doing things that require focus, will and the urge to understand. When it comes to plans of action players must still rely on their own native smarts.
Luck
Succeeding despite ineptitude, poor planning, and a diet of Snickers and Camels.

Luck subs for the other three stats, but the character loses a point when using it. Luck points are refreshed at the start of a session. Also, Luck is obvious. Everyone sees that you were just lucky. No one will respect you for just being lucky. 

Secondary stats:

Staying Power (SP): equal to your highest stat.

You lose these when your resolve, your body or your grip. When you reach zero you need urgent help. If you go into negative numbers, you’re gone for good. 

When you can't stay you have to go. That's like the Zen of the Blowfly or something.


All The Money (ATM): 1D6. I'm sooo fucking pleased with that initialism. 

This is what you use when you have to buy something. You probably don’t have to roll to buy a candy bar, but the game works from the presumption that you are poor.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of Kranium Kastle

Oh B.R.O.T.H.E.R.

Teen Cthulhu