31 Days Character Creation Challenge Day 17: ARC Doom

 Today I’m making another ARC Doom character, but this time around I have a character in mind. A character with amnesia(!) This means I’ll build rather than roll this one. 

I’m considering the Approaches, and decide to put 0 in Creative, as this character is strongly tied to tradition. I put one in Careful, since I imagine the character’s got a cool head when performing his duties. The +2 goes in Concerted, since I imagine him being a rock of stability and work ethic.


Next up is Blood & Guts. I reckon that our character isn’t particularly resistant to physical damage, even though he is a big lad. He’s pretty gutsy though. I put 2 in Blood and 4 in Guts, and with the 2D6 rolls I get 11 and 9 starting scores. 


Now onto skills. Our guy is somewhat magical, so I am giving him 1 in Arcana. He’s knowledgeable about culture, but narrowly so. A 1 in Culture too. Our guy is well-liked, and has an aura of safety. That’s 2 in Charisma. He’s known to have insight into human behavior and our, for want of a better word, sins. That’s 2 in Insight. Not sure where to put the last 1, but I go with Tinker. He can do emergency repairs, should the need arise. 


Before we go on I’ll just tell you that our guy remembers his name. It’s Nicholas. 


Now, I want Nicholas to have some spells to reflect his abilities. I see them as innate to him, rather than something from a grimoire. I have 30 points to spend, and I immediately blow 21 on three instances of 


UNMASK THE SELF - Know the name and hidden desire of any one being you see.


You might say that this power is kind of essential to him. Three instances means that he can use the power three times before having to ‘recharge’.

I buy him three days’ worth of rations. Nicholas is known to like his grub, and is often depicted as rotund. 

That’s 8 points left. I give him a Booming voice [+1 Blood Damage]. I wonder if that’s a typo. Does the booming voice really do physical damage? I’ll go with it. 

With three points left, I can’t buy all that much. Finally I go with more spells. Three instances of 


TRINKET - Minor magical effects certain to delight anyone.


And Nicholas is all about delighting people. This spell is what you’d call a cantrip in D&Dese. With that I’m all out of points. 


Now for the three character-building questions.


What makes them different from others?

I go with “His faith in basic goodness, and being impervious to cold.” That’s two things, and we’ll see if the GM allows it. 


There are three rumors about them. What are they and who believes it?

Since you’ve most likely guessed who Nicholas is, I guess his real(?) identity should be one of the rumors. 

“1: Nicholas is a great god, observing things incognito. Nick meets at least one person who believes that every day.” I think that one could be fun in play. 

“2: Nicholas is a seasonal demigod, a jovial spirit of generosity and just rewards. A surprising number of children seem to believe this.” Wink-wink. 

“3: Nicholas is a nice old codger, a bit naïve, but entirely decent. People in positions of authority seem to have heard this one.“ The prosaic viewpoint. A bit kooky, but nice.


What was the most painful lesson your hero had to learn?

Here we need something that Nicholas remembers, even if he does not  Remember much of anything else. I go with “That there are those who yearn for all things, seemingly without the ability to receive, or know what they have.” Maybe I’ll change it later, but right now I think it suits him.


Ho ho.. who am I?

Nicholas does not remember who he is, or what his purpose in the world is. He remembers warmth and celebration, but also biting cold and long nights without dawn. Sometimes he remembers a different life entirely, one by a wine-dark sea, with prayers in tall-ceilinged rooms, and the slave-market with its deep despair for mankind. Maybe not knowing is best. Kindness does not need a reason, does it? 

Nicholas [He/him] Large ruddy-faced man with a sunny disposition and amnesia. 

APPROACHES

CREATIVE: 0                         CAREFUL: +1                            CONCERTED: +2   


BLOOD (2d6+ 2 ): 11                  GUTS (2d6+ 4 ): 9 


SKILLS

Knowledge Skills

Culture 1

Social Skills

Charisma 2

Insight 2

Physical Skills

(none)

Pragmatic Skills

Tinker: 1

Prowess

Arcana 1


Inventory

3 Days’ rations

Booming voice [+1 Blood Damage]

Spells

3xUNMASK THE SELF - Know the name and hidden desire of any one being you see.

3xTRINKET - Minor magical effects certain to delight anyone.



QUESTIONS

What makes them different from others?

His faith in basic goodness, and being impervious to cold. 


There are three rumors about them. What are they and who believes it?

1: Nick is a great god, observing things incognito. Nick meets at least one person who believes that every day.

2: Nick is a seasonal demigod, a jovial spirit of generosity. A surprising number of children seem to believe this.

3: Nick is a nice old codger, a bit naive, but entirely decent. People in positions of authority seem to have heard this one. 


What was the most painful lesson your hero had to learn?

That there are those who yearn for all things, seemingly without the ability to receive, or know what they have. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of Kranium Kastle

Oh B.R.O.T.H.E.R.

Teen Cthulhu